WCS has been engaged by the Greyhound Industry Transition Taskforce to facilitate transition support packages for people exiting the greyhound racing industry.
We provide FREE counselling to anyone affected by the end of greyhound racing in the ACT, whether or not they apply for a transition support package.
Our aim is to support them by connecting them with the right services and supports so that they can move forward with their lives.
What kind of support is available?
We can individually tailor transition support packages that support you with counselling, training opportunities and new employment, as well as provide assistance to find new homes for your greyhounds if required. All this is made possible through funding by the ACT Government.
Transition support packages may include:
- Training and re-skilling opportunities (for example, subsidised places in training programs)
- Short-term financial support – if you are employed in, or can show that you are significantly dependant on greyhound racing for income (and you can’t access a redundancy payment);
- Business skills support (for example, subsidised assistance in business planning);
- Specialist advice, guidance and planning about future career options;
- Financial counselling and planning services;
- No-interest loans to meet immediate individual needs;
- Micro-credit loans to re-direct existing small businesses, or support new small business ventures;
- Help to re-home greyhounds;
- Counselling to provide emotional support for anybody involved in the industry transition.
Anyone who is substantially affected by the end of the industry can make an application for transition support. Transition support is available to people or businesses in the following three categories:
- Those directly employed in the ACT by the Canberra Greyhound Racing Club (CGRC); or
- Contractors/businesses providing services to the CGRC that are directly related to racing activities, and where these activities comprise a significant component of their business income or their business will be significantly affected by the ban; or
- ACT residents who have been registered with Greyhound Racing NSW (GRNSW) as owners/breeders and trainers and active as at 23 June 2017 (the day on which the Government confirmed its intention to end the industry in the ACT).
How to access support